Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cold Snap


I thought cold snaps were supposed to be short. Thus the "snap" part of the phrase. Instead, it seems we get "less cold snaps" where the temperature rises to -15*C or so. I did a search on phrases to describe cold and was rather unsuccessful. The one I found most often was "Freezing the Balls off the Brass Monkey". Interesting.
So I searched for synonyms and found:
acold, algid, arctic, frigid, gelid, glacial, icy, polar, bleak, cutting, raw, chilly, parky, crisp, frosty, nipping, nippy, snappy, frigorific, frore, frosty, rimed, rimy, heatless, ice-cold, refrigerant, refrigerating, refrigerated, shivery, stone-cold, unheated, unwarmed
Personally, I think "My mama makes me wear these dang boots when I go out" is most accurate. He may look foolish, but they work. And soon enough he forgets that he's wearing them. He doesn't pick up his cold, frost-bitten feet during a walk and he moves fast enough that he never shivers. I think it's adorable.








4 comments:

mmichele said...

those are slick shoes!

i think we need some for jed.

Linda said...

Oh! Dixie would "love" them too! However, the cold is an excuse for me not to have to go out with her for a walk. I keep telling her that when it warms up I'll take her out.

it's a gong show... said...

i need to get some of those for my "dog-nieces".

i would have to say that the synonym i like the best is "frigorific"! i'll have to use that one.

Anonymous said...

Personally I think he looks a little wussie with those boots! No wonder he's embarrassed to wear them! Glad they work though. I would hate to have to put them on him -- must be hard for you with your tummy! Love MOM