Thursday, June 23, 2011

Faith

Just finished reading Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom and loved it. Easy to read with wonderful insights that encourage acceptance of others.

My favorite paragraph is as follows:

But I realized something as I drove home that night: that I am neither better nor smarter, only luckier. And I should be ashamed of thinking I knew everything, because you can know the whole world and still feel lost in it. So many people are in pain - no matter how smart or accomplished - they cry, they yearn, they hurt. But instead of looking down on things, they look up, which is where I should have been looking too. Because when the world quiets to the sound of your own breathing, we all want the same things: comfort, love, and a peaceful heart. (p221)

I had a mentor like Mitch had in his life. I remember her. That gentle, accepting spirit taught me so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read that book. Thanks for sharing from it. Now I really must read it. Roselle

Carol Taves said...

got to read that. . .

Brenda Funk said...

Yes that is an awesome book! And I too remember that mentor, Ingrid. I would like to be like her as I age, (there are so many other possibilities that are not so good). She was so full of wisdom, and quiet joy, and she surrounded all she met with love and unconditional acceptance. I need to re-read it.

Valerie Ruth said...

i own it. any of you may borrow it!

Valerie Ruth said...

oh, and mom, i think you're well on your way to being like Ingrid! always more open and accepting. isn't it neat how a mentor's influence keeps going and taking new shapes as one matures? it's like never losing them.