Monday, November 19, 2007

Day Off

I didn't intend for this to be a day off. I got up early, rode the bus, and arrived at work 20 minutes early. I reported to my superior for my first day of orientation to the Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) clinic. Shortly thereafter, I got the news:

"Val, we're going to have to re-assign you because of that cold sore. Our patients are just too immuno-suppressed to have you around."

After lengthy debate it was determined that I may as well return home and peruse the internet, reading about various cancer related topics.

So far I have done some reading. But let's face it - who can read for 8 hours straight? I promise I'll make up whatever time I lack during the remainder of this week. So far I've enjoyed my heating pad (while reading!), played with Bentley, made a grilled cheese sandwich (didn't taste near as good as what I remember from childhood) and a hot mocha. I still intend to take the dog for a walk and peel the potatoes for my Husband's curry that he plans to make tonight.

I love unexpected days "off"!

5 comments:

mmichele said...

i could have discussed the emotional challenges of those who are close to cancer patients... kind of a live interview thing (with coffee, of course)
just in case you have another cold sore.

Valerie Ruth said...

hey - maybe tomorrow!

Linda said...

I've never looked at a cold sore as a good thing but you're making me see it in a new way! Glad you had a good day off.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that grilled cheese didn't taste nearly as good as you remember because I didn't make it!! Glad you enjoyed your day off. Love MOM

micah said...

i just got back here today... how's the cold sore coming along?