Saturday, December 15, 2007

Morning Ramblings

I've been up since 6 AM. It seems that this well oiled machine of a brain has realized that we work days. No more odd shifts. It's the weekend you say? You want to sleep in? Not today - you have work to do!

Sure I do. There are plenty of things I could and/or should do. The gym opens in 5 minutes. I should go hit an early workout. I haven't been for a week. Blame it on a sore back and the Husband working evenings (and therefore being car-less). I should take the dog for a walk. The sun is rising.

I sent my parents a text message thinking maybe they were having a wonderful breakfast that I should be invited to. Alas, I think they're still asleep. The grandkids should have them up soon. I think they should request mama's famous waffles and their Auntie Val's presence. I debated going for a drive and just showing up there. But I wouldn't want to wake them.

The husband is still sleeping. I could impress him like crazy and have the house cleaned up by the time he wakes. He did 6 hours of overtime last night. Paying for Christmas presents, no doubt.

Instead I sit here, writing and nursing a cup of coffee. I think I hear the bathtub calling me. After that I'll work. After that I'll prep 40 lbs of turkey. Oh yes, I'm cooking 2 large turkeys today. I may have only ever cooked one before, but today I'm doubling that. Plus 20 cups of gravy. It's for a good cause - for a mere $2/plate people who would not normally get a Christmas dinner will have a full course meal. While it's cooking I'll clean. While it's cooking I'll take the dog for a walk.

But not right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe I slept in but I was up way before you! You shoulda come here, I would have taken you for a great english breakfast. See you very soon sis. love, jen

joyce said...

some people pay for years of therapy to learn how to relax into their day like you just described.

Anonymous said...

i love the way you sank into that cup of coffee - love it!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you volunteered to cook not one, but two 20 lb turkeys! Don't know if I would have even with much more experience!
and you should have come for breakfast...but it might have been dry brown toast and Lucky Charms! Love MOM