Sunday, June 29, 2008

Today

This morning we packed up early and hit the highway. I rudely awoke Isaiah from his sleep and quickly fed him before packing up. We drove the hour long commute to the small city of Portage. I dropped the Husband off at the Alliance Church for music practice. He plays the drums and is sometimes asked to fill in for vacant band members at various churches. What can I say? He's just that good. I used to work with Jon, who leads a band at this church.

Meanwhile, I drove over to the hospital I used to work in. It was there that I received a positive pregnancy test. It was there that I started spotting at the end of a shift and went to Emergency. It was there that I had an ultrasound done that showed a beating heart at 8 weeks gestation. And it was there that my co-workers rode the emotions of disappointment month after month with me and then got as excited as I did when I conceived. I had to show him off!

Some of the best were working today. They were on my boy in a minute, examining him and cuddling him. It felt like a homecoming. I enjoyed my job there. It was often stressful, but the people I worked with were top notch. If it wasn't for such high gas prices, I would love to go back to work there.

Shortly after, I proceeded to a friend's place for breakfast. As we caught up on life, she casually mentioned that Jos, the ward clerk from work had died. Nobody had told me this news yet and it tugged at my heart. I often saw her at Cancer Care during her treatment of lung cancer and she was always full of hugs and praise. I remember how surprised I was to find out that she liked me. I never would have thought that when I worked with her.

Church was full. I saw another girl that I used to work with. She often brought Jos in for clinic appointments. I sat with her and handed her Isaiah. She held him as she sang and I watched the tears stream down her face as she looked at him, prayed for him and I could tell that he was helping heal her heart.

We joined Jon and his family for lunch. The girls played and asked questions about the baby. We admired new pups - only 4 days old. Presents were given to Isaiah. He was very grateful. He's a good baby that way.

On the way home we checked out Marble Slab Creamery. They make their own ice cream daily. I highly recommend it, but it does come fairly pricey. Yumma!

When we got home, I took the dog out to the front yard and watered the flower bed. The neighbor lady and her Basset hound joined us and we talked shop. She's a nurse as well. The neighbor across the street came out to give Bentley his Sunday treat of T-bone bits. My dog loves that man. I'm reminded how lovely our neighborhood is. I might never want to leave it.

I spent my evening cuddling my little man. He was plumb tuckered out and just happy to be in my arms. He lays against my chest, his eyes as big as a deer's, and blinks really slowly like he caught in the headlights or perhaps I had just rescued him from some terrible fate. I put away some clothes that are too small for him and felt a twinge of sadness. I miss my 5 pound bundle.

On a side note, the Husband made a new blog that will be primarily photos of Isaiah for friends and family to peruse. It's the Mennonese Connection (A combo of Mennonite and Guyanese) and you can find it at http://themennoneseconnection.blogspot.com/

G'nite!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day! Looking forward to checking out that blog! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

might have take a drive out to Portage myself one day(well with my husband). Tell me what's special about the Marble Slab Creamery.I checked out the photos...the little man's been doing some growing, you must be doing it right by him. Roselle

Anonymous said...

I have just stopped in to catch up on your blog and I'm starting right here! I'll probably make comments as I go along...
see you in the next comment.