Monday, May 18, 2009

Growing a Friendship

Two and a half years ago we moved into a suburb in the city. It was our first home. We moved in August. For the first time I enjoyed having my own yard. It was a small patch of grass but it was mine.

I enjoyed sitting on the deck in the back yard. I noticed the neighbor's apple tree, laden with apples. Branches leaned over the fence bowing under the weight. I couldn't resist but to pick one once in a while and enjoy it's crisp coolness on a hot summer day.

My Grandma came for a visit and eyed up the tree. "Ask your neighbor if I can buy some!" she stated, with a promise of homemade apple pie.

So, the next time I saw her outside I asked her for some. I recognized her immediately as she turned to face me. Where had I seen her before? Curves? Nursing School? I struck out on all of my guesses before figuring out that we worked different shifts in the same department of the Hospital.

After our meeting under the apple tree our friendship grew. Now she laughs with me, cries with me, listens to me. We hang out with our kids. We walk the dogs. Talk shop. Enjoy coffee. Sushi. We gab on the phone, talk shop, and various stuff. She rains toys on my son and showers me with support.

When we moved away it broke my heart. I was scared our friendship wouldn't survive. The opposite has been true. Our friendship continues to grow.

This weekend her family came to see our new house. And she brought a gift certificate...

For an apple tree.

4 comments:

Brenda Funk said...

What a perfectly appropriate gift! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! I had an apple tree onceand I think I must get another. Roselle

Wendy Barkman said...

Smiling with you.

Linda said...

How wonderful that your friendship continues to grow!