Thursday, May 28, 2009

Surprises

Yesterday morning when the Boy cried, I assumed the Husband would tend to him. That's our arrangement when I'm on days and the Husband is on evenings. It was 230 AM. I looked beside me. I appeared to be alone. I got up and fed and cuddled my son. When I returned to bed, I checked my cell phone. A text message stated that the Husband was working overtime.

At 530 AM my alarm went off to get me up for the day. 7AM start times are hard on me. I am not a morning person. But this morning I didn't dawdle. The space beside me was cold and husbandless. My heart pounded as I realized I would have to make arrangements for my son. Normally he wouldn't go to daycare till the afternoon when Daddy works evenings. I didn't dare call and wake my daycare worker up.

So I called my Dad. "Dad" I said "Can you do me a favor?" He agreed to do me a favor and I spelled out the enormity of it. Absolutely, he would be at my place for 615. Thankfully, my Daddy is a terrible sleeper and was already up for the day. When he arrived he gave me a homemade cinnamon bun that my Mum had baked the day before and sent me off to work.

Once the Boy was up for the day, Grandpa took him to the farm where Grandma took over. He played outside all day.

How lucky can a daughter and grandson be?!

The Husband did eventually come home, safe and sound and very tired.

3 comments:

Linda said...

How wonderful for you and your precious son!

Anonymous said...

Believe me it was not a hardship! We had a delightful time eating lunch on the deck and watching all the big trucks and tractors go by (I think he ate twice as much because he was so distracted), swinging, walking in the grass, chasing the kitty-kats -- oh, and a long delightful dinner nap of 3 hours! Love Grandma

Beth said...

Wake up the babysitter?? Yikes lol. anytime