Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How I Became my Mum's Sister

My mum grew up with two sisters - Carol and Wendy. Mum was the oldest, Wendy the youngest. For the last number of years the sisters have had "sister's weekend". It meant a chance to get away from the humdrum of life, rent a hotel room, relax in the hot tub, shop to their hearts' content, and play limitless hours scrabble.

Unfortunately, dear aunt Wendy got sick in November of 2005. ALS first took her voice, then her swallowing, coordination, and all other muscle control. By last summer she was in a hospital, unable to cavort in the summer heat with her sisters. Or her children, for that matter. And by November 2006 she was gone.

Unwilling to abandon tradition, Mum and Carol planned a sister's weekend last summer. But the hole that Wendy's absence left was too great a gap. Just the two of them didn't feel complete.

This is how I got invited. Mum said that since I have no sisters nearby and they are missing one, perhaps I should come along. I didn't put up much of a fight. The real sisters reminded me that it would be a trial basis. That meant driving them around and playing Scrabble (one of my least favorite games).

I passed trial last year. Only to learn that the trial period is indefinite, as defined by the sisters.

This year we decided to take a weekend trip across the border. Like an obedient servant I made arrangements, drove, and played my least favorite game for hours. Never winning. Winning would lose me marks in the trial. I came close to passing this year. Until the trip home. Whoops.

And that is how I became my mother's sister. Almost. Which is MUCH better than becoming my sister's mother. Wendy's void will never disappear, and I certainly don't try to fill it. They'll miss her forever. As will I. But spending time with her sisters and her kids reminds me that she was here. Plus, weekends out with two of the women I admire most, women that I can laugh and cry with, is always a good time.

Here are some photos of the trip:













6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun we had! Thanks for letting me win at scrabble, even if you questioned my score-keeping.I feel doubly blessed having you as a sister and a daughter! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

KINDA MAKES ME WISH I HAD A SISTER... HMMM...

mmichele said...

cool.

Anonymous said...

Val, you look so healthy and beautiful!!! Are those freckles I see?

Anonymous said...

This post made me very jealous. I was invited too... we'll have to have a sisters weekend at Christmas and make mom and carol be on trial I think.

Valerie Ruth said...

jen - LOVE that idea!