Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yuuuu-uummmmm


It's strawberry time! There's nothing I love more than fresh berries grown right here in our province. Portage is, of course, the strawberry capital. There are so many strawberry farms that their prices are quite reasonable. Around here, U-pick is $8 or $9 per pail. Out there it's $6.50, buy 10 get 1 free. I won't subject my back to such torture, so I usually buy the pre-picked
at $9.50/4litre pail (also buy 10 get 1 free).


Strawberries with sugar, vanilla, and milk are pictured above. I also made strawberry pie, which I was going to take a photo of as well. However, I found the pie was more like a wonderfully sweet soup as I cut into and the berries slid to fill the gap where the last slice had been. So no picture.


If anyone wants some, place your order! You'll just have to drive to my place to pick it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if that last sentence or two was wise! You may be deluged with orders. I'm sure enjoying my strawberries though! Thanks so much for picking them up after a long 12 hour night shift! Looking forward to this bunch of shifts being over - I'm missing you!

joyce said...

I had to smile at your bit about not publishing a picture of the pie. I did the exact same thing today, using my mom's pie recipe. The crust was beautiful, but I didn't have cornstarch and used flour instead. I ate a delicious shlomp-of-a piece that was quite like strawberry soup with crust.

yum anyway.
(gosh, your mother is sweet. What a gift.)