Wednesday, October 3, 2007

For The Last Time

Today I'm prepping for a round of 3 12hr night shifts. For the last time I stayed up till 2 AM last night so that I can pull an all-nighter tonight. Pretty soon I'll be driving my last scheduled commute to Portage.

I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss congratulating new parents and giving newborns their first baths. I'm going to miss my co-workers more than anything. They've been such wonderful friends.

And I'm going to hate this learning curve. I hate learning policies and procedures and figuring out which co-workers to shy away from. I hate feeling stupid and all-thumbs-ish, fumbling for answers.

Just like last time. I remember driving home from my first job after graduation, thinking that school had done nothing to prepare me for real life. I remember feeling frustrated and dumb. I remember the co-workers that helped and those who didn't.

Hopefully in a couple of months I feel comfortable at this new job thing. Because right now it just seems kinda scary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey -- you'll do great -- but of course, you're right, the first few weeks will be difficult. But remember you're very good at connecting with new people, and very very good at learning new things. I think you may even enjoy the challenge! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

You've had a really positive experience at the "old place" and the good times are yet to come at the new place. I'm praying for you. (I often give myself six weeks before and after something like a change of job where I tell myself it's normal to feel a little out of sorts.)

Anonymous said...

But no more nights, right? Just hold that thought...Lindalew