Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Brrr...

On cold days like today I have to give myself a talking to. When I'm waiting 5 or 10 or 15 minutes at a bus stop feeling the wind cut through my jacket and my body shiver I have to remind myself. I'm lucky that I can bus to work. Owning one car instead of two is saving us hundreds of dollars a month. And even if I DID have a car to take to work, I'd have to be on a 2 year waiting list for a parking spot at HSC. And if I eventually got a parking spot I would have to pay something like $80 just for parking privileges alone. And it would take almost as long as the bus, when it is running on schedule.

But I still sometimes feel sorry for myself. And sometimes I call the Husband to come and get me. Which he graciously never refuses unless he's doing something, like say, work.

So I remind myself that it's worth it to shiver. And that I should dress warmer next time. And that I only have to do this 73 more times. Not that I'm counting or anything.

5 comments:

mmichele said...

hmmm

could i get his number? then i can call him at work, too!

The Sm'allards said...

It's so true...but the shivering is never fun. Maybe start insulating your coat with the hundreds of dollars you save every month? Oh, wait,we have LOONIES. That won't be very warm. Shoot.

Anonymous said...

73 - yup, you're counting. Who wouldn't? So much excitement is coming your way...

joyce said...

many times when I drive into the city and see people shivering at bus stops, I have a barrage of thoughts. I remember shivering at the bus stop. I remember fantacizing that someone would pick me up. I remember meditating on the wisdom of taking the bus instead of a car.

brrrrrr
I totally get the widom of your choices, and I totally get counting days.

Anonymous said...

haha! I hear about how many days left you have. I was always aware of that! Hope things are going well for you, we always seem to miss each other on msn.
Hope you have been enjoying the much milder weather at your bus stops lately :)
Josi