Monday, August 17, 2009

Parent Pressure

It's like peer pressure except that it comes from your parent. In this case, my Mother.

I had decided against joining Facebook. It was my silent rebellion. I would swim against the current of fads and e-culture. I would set myself apart, not needing such artificial connection. I had heard it could be addicting and time consuming. Who am I kidding - I have no extra time. Oh no, Facebook was not for me.

Then my Mum joined. She wanted to see what it was all about. She told me about her friends. She updated me on my cousins' lives. She told me there were pictures of my niece and nephew, and wasn't it too bad that I couldn't view them?

So in a moment of weakness and loneliness, I joined. Now I too am a Facebook user. I just had to be as cool as my Mum.

6 comments:

mmichele said...

Oh I must friend-request you!

Brenda Funk said...

Yeah well, we can't all be cool. I'm still thinking it is pretty much a time waster, but right now it's still interesting -- it is one way of connecting (albeit ever so slightly) with people I would otherwise not connect with at all. And I'm so glad we're finally friends!

Linda said...

Hurray! Will you be my friend?

joyce said...

Yeah... But.... Your mom is pretty cool!

Wendy Barkman said...

:-)

I have "caved" myself! (As you already know.)

Beth said...

You are also now as cool as your babysitter...who is friends with your mom on facebook as well lol