Monday, August 3, 2009

The Week Off

Clearly my week off was so fun-filled that I didn't even have a chance to write. It was a highly charged, emotional week with a range of activities that kept me hopping.

I had a few appointments including one for a massage. April was the last time I got in to see Kathy. I think what I need is a therapist in the town that I work in so that I can tack a session on at the end of my day instead of taking a whole evening to head into the big city. It's just that my therapist is amazing.

I met with my physician regarding my xrays. The report I got back included words like "approximately", "measurer differences", and "margin of error" which eroded my confidence in the report. Apparently my curve is "relatively" the same as 3 years ago. This is good news! It held out pretty well with the pregnancy and all of that. I'm to have a visit with a surgeon some time in fall. If it's not shifting I probably won't need that very scary surgery.

I socialized. I hooked up with two different cousins. One single and one married with a baby. I spent time with my parents and my favorite aunt. It turns out that the people right in my own family are some of the most amazing people I've met. My babysitter and her family came over and our husbands bonded over sports. I met a nurse friend for lunch and chatter. I let go of having the house to the Husband's standards before I have friends over.

The Husband and I had a date and some very meaningful, necessary conversation. We saw a movie. The Boy stayed at his Grandma's for a terrible sleep (Thanks Mum!).

I said goodbye to a person who has showered me with support over the last number of months. I really suck at goodbyes. But I am such a lucky person to constantly have people come up beside me and walk with me through the stuff-ness of life.


I decided to treat myself to a new fish, prettying up my tank. It is coming along quite nicely! It's amazing what a sinkhole it can be for money though. Probably as expensive as a horse! Meet R2 (A temporary name - I am open to suggestions.). He's going to be a symbol of bravery. His price tag was $22.50. I got home and pulled out the receipt... for $2.50. Now is this a gift, or a test?


Yesterday I topped things off by going to the spa with one of my best friends. We splurged. We had hot stone massages (my favorite), facials (not my favorite - I'm rather head shy), manicures and pedicures. We toured the Forks. We had brunch that was overpriced and undersized. Oh yes, we had to order entree #3 to share to feel anywhere near satisfied. But it's not every day I have a lobster crepe for breakfast! Doesn't take long for the pampered feeling to wear off once you get home. The boy slobbers on your shoulder. Your greasy hair feels dirty. Your nail polish chips.


The Boy is Mama's again. He hasn't given Daddy the time of day this week. He's temperamental like that. He has two molars coming in at almost the same time that have his gums more swollen than seems natural. His sleep has been awful. We have appreciated Bubble Gum flavored Advil. Since he started walking he hasn't stopped. He takes his bottle while wandering. Sitting is a punishment. I don't have to carry him nearly as much and he is quite happy doing his own thing. But I'm afraid he'll disappear into nothing. The tabs on his size 3 diapers are touching again. Slim Jim. Also, he talks constantly.


Tonight I get to have dessert and coffee and watch the new Harry Potter movie with a friend. But first I have laundry to do and cleaning to accomplish.

Next weekend - sisters weekend! That means two nights at a hotel and lots of good times. No kids. Oh, and Scrabble. It's part of my probation rules. Maybe this year I'll pass and just get to be a normal member. But probably not.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh, I think that your probabtion is probaby permanent -- always conditional on your willingness to play at least one game of scrabble!
It's a complicated weekend, what with your Mom and your Aunt being your 'sisters' -- we are trying to fill the empty hole that Wendy left -- and she didn't even play scrabble! Looking forward to some really fine relaxing! Love MOM

Wendy Barkman said...

glad to hear your good back news

and about your time with your hubby

and about The Boy

and and and

Beth said...

Hooray for husband bonding over sports. Supper was great by the way. I think the next one is on us. Just let us get the house semi up to husband standards. Ah nevermind....if it ever does get there it only lasts a few minutes around here! We love your company and Charlotte loves any time spent with her "ZAYYYYYYYYAHHHHHHHH" <====(insert sweet singing voice here)