Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Work

Today was the first time that I worked in the recovery room and had an.. shall we say aggressive? patient. He came out of anesthetic swinging at me. And swearing. Dude, this is NOT my fault. By the end of our hour together he was the sweetest man. With no recollection of his earlier behavior.

Also, today was the first time I offered my arm as a pincushion for a nursing student. Well, actually she's on summer holidays working as a ward clerk and will be entering year 3 in fall. That's the one where you learn IV stuff. I'm not sure why patients should always be the test victims. None of my co-workers volunteered. I razz her enough that I'm pretty sure she was looking forward to poking me. She did good except that she missed. And now I'm sporting a lovely bruise.

How many people can say they love their jobs? I do. And I'm good at it.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Yes you are! And I'm glad you've found such a good place to work. Sounds like a very un-boring day!

Bert said...

This is Bert, Michele's brother. Nurses are great. I've needed hospitalization a couple of times in the last number of years (low blood glucose levels, and a wicked case of the flu), and the nurses who cared for me were awesome.

Anonymous said...

I'VE SEEN YOU AS A NURSE BEFORE YOU BECAME ONE, AND YOUR PATIENTS ARE BLESSED!! YOU ARE FANTASTIC.

Beth said...

I love my job too and i think im good at it! Tired but good lol. YAY for finding self-fulfillment.