Monday, March 19, 2007

Jenny


I miss my sister. I realized that yesterday while sweating it out in a hot yoga class with a friend who had 2 sisters with her. I only have one. She's far away in England exploring the world and doing all kinds of fun things.


We shared a bedroom for the better part of our growing up years. We were so different, her and I. Then, and even now, I often think we have nothing in common. She was quiet. I was loud. She liked solitary. I hated it. She wanted me to play Barbies with her. That made me gag. I'd push her buttons until she'd become angry. We did horse 4H together and enjoyed that. Sometimes we'd saddle up and ride together. But even that, we mostly did on our own.


We see each other on holidays and vacations now and we always get along. In between times we don't keep in touch as well as we should. We start emailing and then one of us always ends up falling off the wagon and it's months before we communicate again.


It may sound like our relationship is awkward. It really isn't. We're pretty good at just being together. We can pick up our relationship where it left off any time and it's comfortable. We were each other's maids of honor at our weddings. We love each other deeply.


And days like yesterday, I just wanted to call her up and invite her. To try doing yoga together. Or to join me for a cup of java and one of mum's cinnamon buns. I just wanted her around. To remind me of my family. To remind me of who I am, and why I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did lots of stuff together though -- rode your bikes, baked mud pies with Shawna, played dress up and house etc.! And didn't you love those matching dresses -- and how I always chose blue for you and pink for Jen! I remember when you two started rebelling in earnest against being dressed alike etc. -- each determined to establish your own identities!

Valerie Ruth said...

that may be. i don't seem to remember all the fun we had together! just more the squabbles.

Linda said...

I am incredible grateful for my sisters. Yvonne and I are pretty close in age and we were not close until we became adults. With Michele it was different because she was so much younger than I was, there was no sibling rivalry. We are blessed.

Anonymous said...

There is something special about family, isn't there? I miss my family, too. That doesn't mean there weren't heartaches/fights or all-out wars. Just means they're my family. And with all our scars, I love them.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis just saw this now - miss you too. we had some good times, remember all the talking we did in our bunkbeds... love from jenny.