Monday, May 14, 2007

Firsts

I was thinking about my week last week. It was pretty hectic, and I had a lot of things happen that were "firsts" for me. Let me recap:

- The Husband and I celebrated 3 years of marriage

- Therefore, we enjoyed a couple's massage and a soak in the mineral pool at the Urban Oasis

- The Husband had a birthday and I bought him no presents and gave him no surprises. He wants an ipod that he's decided to purchase in fall. Every other year has been secrets and surprises from his Wife. This year, not even a card. I think I'm a bad wife...

- I worked a night shift after a lady came in with a "spontaneous abortion" of a 17 week pregnancy. I got to spend some time with her, in her grief.

- I looked at the 17 wk conception baby. It was perfectly formed, tiny nose and mouth. My co-worker wrapped it in a blanket.

- I learned that the woman could take home "the products of conception for disposal"

- That made me sick to my stomach

- I discovered that an infant was breathing 2x faster than she should be and contacted the Dr. She'll be okay but the Mum was pretty worried. I sat with her last night while she cried on her bed.

- I assisted in establishing an epidural. I've taken over previously established lines, but never seen them put in. Epidurals are rare at our hospital.

- I came out of a room to find the hospital kitchen barricaded. Long story.

- I saw an 80-something year old shuffle buck naked down the hall. He was really upset, physically upset, that we were trying to bring him back to his room. "There's nothing wrong with me!"

- I discovered that one of our patients had overdosed.

- I spoke to a doctor at Poison Control

- She's going to be okay too.

- I got sworn up and down more than I think ever before and accused of not caring. If I didn't care, why would I try so hard to keep this patient alive?

- On a less nursey note, my favorite radio host - Ace Burpee - called me to wish me a happy international nurses week. I'm still thrilled! Thanks Tim...

I think that's it. More than enough for one week. I'm ready for a few days off.

3 comments:

mmichele said...

i think you must be a fabulous nurse. i wish we would have had you around when we had our hospital years, but i think you were about 12 and not quite ready.

Linda said...

You deserve a few days off. I wish you had been around when I was having my babies too.

Valerie Ruth said...

wow - the ultimate compliments. thanks!