Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Country vs City

I am a country gal. For a while in my early adulthood, I decided that I wasn't. I decided I was a city girl. So I moved to Winnipeg and enjoyed the pleasures of city living. I liked the fast paced life with people everywhere. I liked being able to be spontaneous and do what I wanted at any hour. I met and married the man of my dreams in the city. And he is a city boy through and through.

Part of what I love about him though is that he's open minded. How many city boys can help their father in law with the harvest?! He also promised that one day I could have my own horse again. Right now our lives work best in the city, with our jobs and other commitments. But we'd really like to move just outside, with a big lawn, no fences, and no neighbors who can see what we're doing if we leave the shades open. A place where land is counted as acres and miles, not blocks.

The last few days I've been itching to leave the urban world. And so, spontaneously, I packed up myself and my dog and drove to the farm yesterday. Mum and I went for a walk to the Seine River Diversion and Dad washed the John Deere tractor. The pups played. I sipped Mum's coffee and ate some homemade buns.

And that small dose of country rejuvenated me so that I could return to the city. For a little while longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do they say... you can take a girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl? Something like that! It was a lovely day to spend with you!

Anonymous said...

Ah I am jealous. Sometimes I get sick of all the concrete and all the people. Even winnipeg would feel a little more like the country ;)
-j

Valerie Ruth said...

hey anon - maybe i'll have to take u to the farm with me some time! um, if i find out who you are.