Monday, April 9, 2007

Ice Fields

We explored the Ice Fields today, Bentley and I. Sometimes
this place is a mere park. Other times it's enchanted.
Boots and paws, ready for a hike.


The thawing, freezing, and draining of the water is leaving thick plates of ice where the waterline once was. The red footbridge is in the background.









Due to a recent stretch of cold weather, I could walk on the ice without breaking through. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go nearly all of these places with all of the Manitoba mire underneath.

Oops! Bentley drops his ball in a place deemed unsafe due to severe slippage. He did eventually become brave enough to retrieve it himself.

Along the riverbanks are these scattered bunches of sticks. Note the glass floor in this picture. We correctly assumed that these were the homes of the keepers of the Ice Fields.





Since we were bound and determined to have winter deemed complete for the season, Bentley displayed a heroic demonstration of his strength by wrangling the biggest tree he could dislodge. It seemed for a moment that the tree would win, but after an intense struggle Bentley was victorious.











Naturally, the locals surrendered without a struggle.







And we immediately moved in.



The only quasi-edible plant life we found looked like green grapes. I'm pretty sure they aren't the variety used to make Ice-Wine. Does anyone recognize these?












Quite the adventuresome day!
I'm all tuckered out.
G'nite all

6 comments:

mmichele said...

lovely!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures -- and I sure missed seeing you on Easter -- glad you and your Dad could at least share that walk -- I too was stuck working! And all my people seemed especially needy this weekend! Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Oh...
I could feel the fresh air and hear the crunch under our feet. Because naturally you let me come along. I agree - what fun!

Anonymous said...

Great pics Val!

josi

Anonymous said...

Cool! Oh, I miss Manitoba. Out here in redneck city we don't have any flooding like back home - its just too hilly, and the water dissapears downhill to the river too fast to stay around and freeze in fantastic forms. I'm jealous and happy for you!
David

Anonymous said...

That really looks like a very serent and relaxing setting. One in which you could lose yourself to the troubles of the world and let yourself go into another world and time. Till it's time to go back that is.