Friday, June 22, 2007

It's Just What I Do

Last night was potluck night. I offered to bring dessert. My Aunt Carol had made a fabulous Brownie Raspberry Trifle a while back that I was excited to try. You can never go wrong with trifle.

I worked the night before. When I got home in the morning, I threw a brownie into the oven so that it could cool while I slept. 4.5 hrs later I got up, had some coffee, looked at my flowers. Around 430 I decided I should get a move on, so I went to Superstore to grab a few things I would need. Namely, chocolate pudding and raspberry goodness. Note the lack of milk in my list...

I scurried down my sidewalk only to be stopped for a pleasant conversation with the neighbors. Shortly after 5pm I began my project. My deadline was 6:15. I realized rather quickly that my shopping list had fallen short. So out I went. I was on my way down the sidewalk announcing to the neighbors that of all things, I had forgotten milk.

"I have milk you can use," neighbor #1 responded. I assured them that I could buy my own. But she insisted and proceeded to give me an entire carton of 1%. "I just need a cup and a half. I'll bring it right back," I said. She insisted that they always buy too much and that they really didn't want it back.

Once back in the house I went to work. I made tiny trifles for the neighbor folk as a thank you gift. They were tickled pink and offered to give me milk any time.

I assembled the rest of my creation, topping it off with fresh berries and mint leaves. At 6:10 I was done. I quickly fixed my hair, put in my contacts, gave the Husband some quick instructions, and flew out the door.

The dessert went over well. Half of it remained post supper. And God knows, trifle is never good the next day. It turns into a sweet, soggy soup. I decided the staff at the Vic Emergency deserved sweets for their coffee break. My other neighbor was working the evening shift and promised to return my bowl.

You'd think that this frenzy came to be because of the night shift I pulled the night before. But truth be told, even if I'd been off for a week I would have pulled it off last minute. It drives my mother and the Husband crazy. They plan. They get things ready early. Not me. It's just what I do and how I do things. And it always turns out.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I understand. I tend to do things last minute. However, as you age, that adrenaline rush gets to be pretty exhausting so you'll probably find that you'll become a little more organized.