Monday, April 14, 2008

Winding Down to Switch It Up

It's my last full week of work before I become *gasp* a parent! Next week consists only of 2 days at my desk. I'm orientating someone to my job. She does the work and I tell her how I usually do things and help her find her own way. I'm doing a lot of housecleaning - typing things up for future reference, taking a half day course, making sure all my paperwork is signed.

Patients are calling to say goodbye and good luck. Patients I've grown to know and care for. Patients who hold on to me as a source of life and hope. It's amazing to me how, in the face of death, women (more so than men?) are fascinated by life. When is your due date? Is this your first? Boy or girl? Are you scared? Can I touch?

Despite all of the moaning and the severe learning curve I've only just started on, I'm going to miss the people of this job. I'm not a desk nurse. I never will be. I know that now. The doctors who know how to give bad news with a caring heart amaze me. I don't know that I could be that strong day after day. Month after month. Year after year. For an entire career. Sometimes they look tired. Tomorrow the social worker I work with will give a letter to the husband of one of my young recently deceased girls. And her shoulders droop and her heart hurts. Yet she keeps doing it. The clerk I work with never complains and just holds things together with great effort and cheer. The people I have the privilege of working with are phenomenal humans.

I know. I will miss this place. But mostly, these people. And I will wonder how my ladies are doing. And I will read the obituaries daily for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how much people have appreciated your involvment with them, patients and workmates. Way to go Val.

Anonymous said...

Yours is a hard job...it takes a lot of stamina and courage to do what you do....God bless Val...tante L