Thursday, November 13, 2008

6 Months Old

Today my baby is 6 months old. I can't believe that I've been a parent for half a year already.

Here is what Isaiah is up to:

- Weighs 16 lb 4 oz
- Loves anything with lights
- Can communicate what he wants without words. Clearly.
- Prefers to be put down and have his back patted when he is ready for a nap. No cuddles please.
- Likes sleeping on his left side or his tummy
- Loves trying new foods
- Enjoys touching faces of people he loves
- Sits confidently
- Moves around the floor quickly. It's not quite coordinated enough to call it a crawl - more like a scootch. Sort of like an inch worm. It gets faster every day.
- Is easily distracted and wants part of any action
- Laughs at the dog more than anything else
- Has light colored grey/green/brown eyes. They are still deciding.
- Has one blond hair in the midst of the browns
- Is still working on his first teeth
- Loves keyboards, remotes, and cell phones
- Reaches for the person he wants to hold him
- Likes to chew on his soother and occasionally sucks his thumb when napping
- Doesn't know what to make of other babies. They kind of freak him out. It's not his fault - we don't hang out with any other young mums and babies. I'm working on this.

Things I have learned:

- I am much more selfish and much less patient than I had previously imagined myself to be
- Go with whatever works.
- Don't listen too much to everyone else's advice. And don't let other people's judgements make or break your day.
- Time to my self is important
- Time alone with the husband is important
- It doesn't matter if the bed doesn't get made
- It does matter if I don't nap and eat properly
- Almost any job can be accomplished in day if it's broken down into small pieces
- My son's laughter can erase any hard feelings about the long, hard night that I'd felt only moments earlier.

He touches my face and makes soft sounds, looking at me in awe. It's amazing to feel so loved and so loving towards a tiny being. Sometimes I imagine expanding our family, and I think it must be impossible to love another as much as this one. Last night, I held him as he slept and stroked his soft head.

Don't grow up so fast, my boy. There is no rush.

Pictures to follow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do grow up too fast! Although sometimes the days (and nights) may seem very long. Enjoy the moments while you have them -- even when you don't get as much sleep as you'd like. Sometimes I look through my photos and realize with a pang of regret that those little people I knew and loved are forever gone! love MOM

Valerie Ruth said...

oh Mom - I feel that way ALREADY!

L-Moe said...

Wow Val, I can't believe he's 6 months already! Seriously where does the time go?!

It's so exciting to see them grow and learn, but yet it really tugs at the heart to see them grow so fast, doesn't it?!

it's a gong show... said...

you're making me cry! it truly does go too fast doesn't it?!

David Funk said...

Thanks for the window into your life with Isaiah, Val - miss you both. I'm v. excited about coming out there in a bit - we'll see how he feels about his cousin Abigail!!!
Love you.
David