Saturday, November 8, 2008

No Sleep Blues

I am so frustrated. I'm waking up 3 or 4, sometimes more, times a night for my baby. I wish I knew what to do. Is he hungry? Teething? Or in a bad habit? Yesterday I started a bedtime routine. Till now I've always just waited till he seemed tired, then fed him and put him down. Now we've added a nightly bath and story to the mix.

Yesterday night he woke up at 2 AM. I fed him. He woke again at 3 AM. I figured he couldn't possibly be hungry, so I patted his back for 15 minutes and he fell asleep. For fifteen minutes. I asked the husband to put him back to sleep. It didn't work. I dragged myself out of bed and fed the boy. He settled and fell back asleep.

At 4 AM he cried. And so did I. I told my husband that I would go feed him, and then put him up for adoption in the morning.

This morning he was up at 930. He nursed twice and had a big bowl of cereal in a two hour period before going down for his nap. Why is he so hungry??

I have a headache, the grumps, and a massage this afternoon. My patience is thin. My back hurts. My head is groggy. And I'm feeling sorry for myself. I know I'm not the only Mum who has gone through this, and I know it's just a phase. Eventually he'll sleep again. But in the meantime, I reserve the right to feel a bit cantankerous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I FEEL SOOO SORRY FOR YOU... BIN THERE, AND IT IS VERY HARD. I HOPE REMINDING YOU THAT THIS TOO WILL END, WILL HELP AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT. HUGS.

Linda said...

I understand your crankiness feelings! He's probably in a growth spurt and will settle down in a day or two. Really, he will. And he's still so darn cute!

Anonymous said...

You are right ...this to shall pass, it is painful to have to get up so often for a baby. Are you still considering giving him up...I'll take him I know he likes me, rermember? Roselle

L-Moe said...

Oh girl, been there done that, and still doing that! I hear ya, it's hard! So hard! I don't really know what to tell you as I'm going through something very similar. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone!

Anonymous said...

Oh no you don't Roselle! I have first dibs -- I am his Grandma after all. He likes me most of the time -- although there are times he wants only his Mom and only Mom will do.

David Funk said...

*ugghhhh* We sure know how you feel - well, I don't know how breast feeding feels, but you know... Last week I was having a hard time liking Ethan b/c he was being such a crappy sleeper. I'm starting to like him a bit more again now since he's sleeping a bit better, but still...
Love ya
david